internetworkers - Re: should dot com employees unionize?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: should dot com employees unionize?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:28:30 -0500

"saundrakaerubel.com" wrote:
> I came across this article and thought it would be good to post it on this
> group. What do others think about unionizing employees at dot com
> environments?

I think it might actually be good for the labor movement. The problem
with Big Labor through the last half of the century has been the
centralization of authority at high levels in huge unions. The result
has often been an autocratic and sometimes corrupt leadership which
becomes further removed from the workers it is supposed to represent,
and an anti-democratic organizational structure.

"Knowledge workers" in the IT industry would probably bring greater
expectations of participation, a more sophisticated approach to
selecting their leaders and greater accountability from those leaders
than did their forebears in the mechanical industries of the 20th
century.

Despite the past excesses of Big Labor, the fundamental concept of an
organized work force is a sound one. It may well have its day in IT.

TaB