internetworkers - Re: should dot com employees unionize?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: should dot com employees unionize?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:32:35 -0800

I think the downtrodden customer service reps should have a union - they are
almost universally dumped on, and the turnover rates are high enough that if
there isn't a consistent structure in place to uphold the minimum standards
of decency, they'll get screwed every time.

However, in general, unions suck. My experience with them is that they are
only barely better than very bad employers. The abundance of very bad
employers assures Unions will continue for the foreseeable future.

The techies can usually take care of themselves, though. Market conditions
and decent competition will keep folks who learn quickly, and have valuable
skills, from being abused too much.

Joe K