internetworkers - Re: should dot com employees unionize?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: should dot com employees unionize?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:32:21 -0500

I'm with Steve. I grew up in a furniture factory in western NC. I've
hammered nails on roofs of new houses as well as some other jobs before
and during college. Most IT workers haven't seen bad working conditions
yet. Job security is fairly stable if you want it and compensation is
more than most comparable work.
Historically, unions have been a plus for unskilled workers who are
easily replaced with others eager for their jobs. I haven't seen that
yet in IT, except in the most basic of jobs. Most companies are afraid
the IT people will leave. They pay them well even for the most
irritating of people.
The workers should look at organizing if the dotcom is abusing them,
but isn't working at a dotcom about suffering until you do the IPO and
get rich? Am I missing something here?
Roger (in RTP, now wondering about my job security)