homestead - Re: [Homestead] what we already knew, or guessed

  • From: Wendy <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what we already knew, or guessed
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:06:47 -0800 (PST)

I assume that you mean petroleum requires lot of chemicals and needs to be
hauled a gazillion miles to be processed.  When I first read it, I though you
meant biofuels.  lol  That are some of the beauties of biofules.  Lots less
chemicals additives required and processing can be done in small plants
scattered all over the country near the grow points.  No more centrally
located
processing like petroleum and far less chemicals.  I think I get what the
artical is trying to say about the corn husks.  If you want nice corn plant
matter, you have to enrich the soil because corn is such a heavy feeder.
Just
enrich it with animal manure and compost from the non usable parts of other
plants.  I think they are assuming that you are going to use petroleum
fertilizer to enrich your bio fuel crops.  I agree with you about hemp
production.  The original deisel engines were designed to run on fuel from
hemp
oil.   I have noticed a lot of disinformation going around about alternate
energies.  Much of this disinformation comes from plugging biofuel sources
into
the petroleum process loop.  People need to get their mind out of the box
when
it comes to alternate fuels.

Wendy