homestead - Re: [Homestead] what we already knew, or guessed

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what we already knew, or guessed
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:33:24 -0800

For starters, the government just loves to give away money for redundancy. One of my favorites was back in the dark ages, $35,000 (that would be about a Mill now) to study why toddlers fall off their tricycles. Yup, honest to god, they paid a group money to figure out why toddlers fall off tricycles. The number one reason -- they run into things. DUH! As anyone who has raised a child could tell you. For free!

As to this supposed study. Fun and games with facts. Bottomline, when wood burns efficiently it is almost carbon neutral. And even inefficient burning of wood leaves less of a carbon footprint than using electricity produced by coal or petroleum.

Is corn a good biofuel. Hell no! Takes more petroleum to get to the end result than if you simply used the petroleum products for fuel. Can you produce a carbon neutral fuel. Sure you can, you just can't use a source that requires lots of chemicals AND needs to be hauled a gazillion miles to be processed. However, could someone please tell me why the heck this guy seems to think that one would use more fertilizer if you were going multiply purpose with corn? What the heck does he think folks are going to do, grow super corn 12 or 15 feet tall that has a stock like a tree trunk?

The mill in Samoa takes the shavings and other wastes and burns them in one of those loop burners (burn once and then burn the gas that comes off burning the wood) to create the electricity to run the mill. The finer chip is used to make dioxine free paper and the big chip is used to make low VOC chip board. Very small carbon footprint.

Lots of waste out there that could be turned into energy. All they have to do is use their brains.

Most of what the guy says in the article is not based on good science. Mostly opinion cloaked as science. And, I notice that no one has the brass to mention the easiest thing in the world to grow, that doesn't need fertilizers, grows where other crops won't and has multiple other good uses -- hemp! OMG! Heaven forbid. Humans are so stupid!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/21/biofuels-harmful-helpful-researchers-argue/?test=latestnews

Why do we spend billions of dollars studying things that are common sense?

--
EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses