homestead - Re: [Homestead] TEOTWAWKI

  • From: <sgian AT netscape.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] TEOTWAWKI
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:15:01 -0700

>James, I have not yet done it but my current plan is to forget the ram
>pump--because the stream water would still require purification--and instead
>collect rainwater, use a sun-powered pump to lift the water to a tank on the
>hill. That tank will then provide water via gravity. The design requires
>that the sun shine part of the time and that the miracle of gravity not be
>compromised.

This would work especially well in the winter with the slow ice melt from the
roof. I've thought about a similar situation but using one of our creeks as
the source. One of the streams (Big Jacob's Creek) is rather pure water, it
is a mountain stream that cascades over rocks from very high up, it is very
cold, and our property is the first thing besides national forest that it
flows by. I have a couple of small steam engines and I've toyed with the
idea of putting one or two of those 1650 gallon propylene tanks behind the
barn (our house is on the highest ground here) and pump them full a couple of
times a week with steam power. It would have to be a semi-permanent
installation since I can move the engine but not the boiler.

But then again I separate in my mind drinking and cooking water on the one
hand and water for all other purposes on the other. There are lots of good
sources for clear, cold spring water around here and we have always been able
to bring up a few jerry cans in a pinch. Laundry, showering, and flushing
... I'm not nearly so particular.

> Should either of those conditions disappear, so shall we.

"when we are gone, they will remain
Earth and fire, wind and rain.
They will remain, when we return
Wind will blow, and fire will burn."