homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:14:56 -0500

But why did you read and study the Bible in the first place? Were you not looking for something? That is far more than most people do. Why are you so logical to begin with, perhaps to find a reason behind the chaos? Root cause analysis....that sort of thing, subconsciously, maybe?

Lynda wrote:
O.K., I had the trauma, twice (saw my favorite aunt beat and kicked by an uncle, then was at the hospital two years later [my 6th birthday] when she was given the Last Rites.

My lack of belief, I don't believe, is hinged on those incidents and comfort or lack thereof. My lack of belief comes from spending 5 years studying the Bible (won a week at a Billy Graham thing in SF) and finding it full of more holes than Swiss cheese. Plus, finding that most people who proported to be Christians were not living in a "Christ like" manner.

I've known a few who were *real* Christians but they are so rare, so far and few between, that it made it all the more unrealistic to me.

but then again, I am a puzzle person and pick things apart and look for the logic. Mr. Spook is my hero <g> I don't find that in religion.

Many of our greatest American thinkers, men of the caliber of Thomas Jefferson, Henry Thoreau, Mark Twain, William James, and John Muir, have found the forest an effective stimulus to original thought.
Bob Marshall