homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:26:49 -0800

O.K., I had the trauma, twice (saw my favorite aunt beat and kicked by an uncle, then was at the hospital two years later [my 6th birthday] when she was given the Last Rites.

My lack of belief, I don't believe, is hinged on those incidents and comfort or lack thereof. My lack of belief comes from spending 5 years studying the Bible (won a week at a Billy Graham thing in SF) and finding it full of more holes than Swiss cheese. Plus, finding that most people who proported to be Christians were not living in a "Christ like" manner.

I've known a few who were *real* Christians but they are so rare, so far and few between, that it made it all the more unrealistic to me.

but then again, I am a puzzle person and pick things apart and look for the logic. Mr. Spook is my hero <g> I don't find that in religion.

LOL, yeah, and now from the woman's perspective...LOL
It is interesting that neither of you mentioned the third aspect of that
study, sexual exclusivity. Comments?

This part is relevant, too...
"Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show
superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning
oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism
may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said."

Now, I don't profess to have Don or Gene's IQ, but in my neck of the
woods, it wouldn't be too smart to proudly say "I'm a sexy, liberal,
atheist". I keep my liberal ideas, my religious beliefs, and my sex
life to myself (or the lack thereof on all three parts, as the case may
be).

I often think about things like this. I've never had this discussion
with Gene or Don, but of the atheists/agnostics/deists/pantheists I know
in my real life, basically everyone who has broken away from the
mainstream Judeo-Christian upbringing in this country, has had some kind
of trauma in their life early on, a pain, a heartache that needed
consolation. For them, and here I must include myself, mainstream ideas
were no comfort, so I turned to other ideas, other belief systems. We
actively and intentionally turned away from the mainstream in search of
a 'better' remedy for the pain. Some block it all out and let nothing
in, they wall up their pain.(not all atheists fall into this category,
but we all know someone who is fits the description) The result is
usually broken relationships of one sort or the other as the issue
resurfaces with a new face later in life. (not that they have a monopoly
on that, either)
I suppose we all go through some kind of pain in childhood, and I've
always envied those who found comfort in a mainstream idea. I certainly
don't advertise my unconventional beliefs. I don't need that kind of
negative attention. I really don't even think it would be different if
I lived in someplace like California known for its open-mindedness. It
has been my experience that when I am in the company of extremely
intelligent, open-minded, liberal, atheist/agnostic people, there is
very little, um, warmth, for the lack of a better word. There is just
a coldness, emptiness or loneliness that I sometimes sense in their
presence. I can't explain it. However, to contrast that, when I am
around people who would be considered the opposite of the above, there
is a warmth, and a feeling of contentment and peace is conveyed. In the
presence of these people, I feel envious and I am humbled. Their IQ may
be 6-11 points lower than yours or mine, but perhaps what they have is
more important in the grand scheme of things....or maybe it is just good
for the balance. Even if there is no grand scheme, perhaps what they
have enables them to live a life just a bit richer than I could experience.
What do I know, I missed the genius 140 mark by 8 points the last time I
took the test. I suppose that explains why I can't figure out how to
download ringtones for my phone.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
It doesn't take much smarts to follow the herd and accept simplistic
fairy tales and take life as it is without striving for and
achieving improvement.

As for sexier, modesty prevents me from responding. Chris has been
known to, um, speak favorably in that regard.

Gene