homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 02:38:09 -0500

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
You know, this does bring up something of interest, at least to me. I
took a full fledged IQ test some 20 years ago... scored a 154... , as
part of one of my psychology classes. I was in my last year of
undergrad, brain being exercised daily in mathematics, arts,
language, music, etc. I suspect that I would not score that high
today.

I do perform well on these little online IQ tests, but I don't put a
whole lot of credence in those. So, where and when do our IQ's peak,
and how much do we lose just through routine of daily living?

Thoughts?

Ray

I think there is more than a little difference between an intelligence quotient and intelligence. There are people outside of the curve who can't accurately be quantified by numbers, like the autistic or the paranoid schizophrenic...the Rainmans and Russell Nashes of the world. As for when one peaks, well I'd guess mid life, when you have enough life experience to see connections between things, enough power to make intelligent choices, and before you become physically impaired from either your environment or your own poor habits and diseases. I don't remember it, but I probably took an IQ test somewhere around the 5th grade because after that I was put in what would today be called a 'gifted' class. I remember taking several in high school, with results ranging from 112 to 138. I took several in college, and one a few years after. Like any other test, so much can depend on things like whether or not you are PMSing or had a fight with your sister or boyfriend or simply have a headache. I seriously doubt I'd score much better than average today. I can tell you this, I was in a coma for several days when I was 21. I coded and was revived twice. Mentally, I just never regained what I had before, but I know that my IQ actually went up. I suppose that is why I have so little faith in the numbers game. Now, at middle age, I honestly feel like I am getting Alzheimer's because I see my recall slipping. I will know that I knew it at some point, but can't recall it. Additionally, I'm apparently not recording information in the same way as I once did. On the other hand, some days, like today, everything seems so clear to me, and all the pieces of life-arts, science, love, pain, fit together in meaningful ways. What is really odd is that I've noticed more decline since I quit smoking. Perhaps it is just the coincidence of age progression, perhaps it is the lack of the stimulation of nicotine, or perhaps it is just my brain cells adjusting to the lack of serotonin or something. Have any other former smokers noticed a lack of clarity when they quit, even two years on? Now that I am working in a brain drain field, I am getting more mental exercise, and what I notice could be just brain soreness from that exercise<g>...maybe.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge