homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:17:14 -0800

Don't you think a lot of the whole IQ thing has to do with the same old same old. If you are good at tests, then you'll score well. Simple as that. I don't consider myself to be a genius but I've aced those tests. I've aced almost every test I've ever taken. I worked in the Health Occ department at the local CC and took the Nursing exams so they'd have a trial sheet to score to see if the ScanTron was working correctly. I got all As and Bs. Ah, I really didn't a clue and you don't want me taking care of you in the hospital. <g>

I've always thought tests were simply an exercise in seeing how well one took tests. I like puzzles. All tests are to me is a puzzle and a challenge.

So, does one's IQ decrease with age, OR is it simply that one takes fewer tests as one gets older and is simply out of practice? I'm voting for out of practice.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

I think there is more than a little difference between an intelligence
quotient and intelligence. There are people outside of the curve who
can't accurately be quantified by numbers, like the autistic or the
paranoid schizophrenic...the Rainmans and Russell Nashes of the world.
As for when one peaks, well I'd guess mid life, when you have enough
life experience to see connections between things, enough power to make
intelligent choices, and before you become physically impaired from
either your environment or your own poor habits and diseases. I don't
remember it, but I probably took an IQ test somewhere around the 5th
grade because after that I was put in what would today be called a
'gifted' class. I remember taking several in high school, with results
ranging from 112 to 138. I took several in college, and one a few years
after. Like any other test, so much can depend on things like whether
or not you are PMSing or had a fight with your sister or boyfriend or
simply have a headache. I seriously doubt I'd score much better than
average today. I can tell you this, I was in a coma for several days
when I was 21. I coded and was revived twice. Mentally, I just never
regained what I had before, but I know that my IQ actually went up. I
suppose that is why I have so little faith in the numbers game. Now, at
middle age, I honestly feel like I am getting Alzheimer's because I see
my recall slipping. I will know that I knew it at some point, but can't
recall it. Additionally, I'm apparently not recording information in
the same way as I once did. On the other hand, some days, like today,
everything seems so clear to me, and all the pieces of life-arts,
science, love, pain, fit together in meaningful ways. What is really
odd is that I've noticed more decline since I quit smoking. Perhaps it
is just the coincidence of age progression, perhaps it is the lack of
the stimulation of nicotine, or perhaps it is just my brain cells
adjusting to the lack of serotonin or something. Have any other former
smokers noticed a lack of clarity when they quit, even two years on?
Now that I am working in a brain drain field, I am getting more mental
exercise, and what I notice could be just brain soreness from that
exercise<g>...maybe.