homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:55:29 -0500

> Right, don't be too eager to back out altogether.  We have two dairy cows
> now and there are still gaps in the freshening cycles.  Like right now, the
> cow due in June is rapidly drying off.  But we have freshly freshened (?)
> goats to fill in the gap.

Nope, not altogether. I'm for sure keeping Ana, my best milker.
Hopefully, she will have some girls this year. The two first
fresheners will probably need a year of training to stand to milk
well. Also, I can't be sure that the heifers will be good milkers.

I'm hoping to be able to supply good, trained milk goats locally.
Plus, there are still lots of weeds in my pastures and I've got some
woods to get cleaned up. Just need to cut down numbers.

Rob - Va