homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:58:29 -0500

>> The beds will be where I plant the
>> other stuff.  I'm going to try to work smarter in the garden. Plant
>> less, care for it better and harvest more.
>
> Let us know how that works out, Rob. My experience is that gardens are
> never tended perfectly. So I plant more than I need, plant it in multiple
> places, tend to it as well as my time and focus permits, and figure the
> bugs, critters and disease can have half and I will still have enough.

My problem has been to plant more than I can reasonably care for. I'm
also hoping that by using beds, I can grow more intensively. More
stuff in less space.

Another resource in this area is that I've found a homesteading
neighbor that grows extra for the market. She also can't seem to
butcher her own meat. I'm hoping to do some bartering.

Rob - Va