homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings

  • From: Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Happenings
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:48:16 -0600

It has been a beautiful winter here in Central Illinois - the most lovely I've seen in many years.

It has been a great many years since I've seen so much snow here! And it is rare for there to be snow cover on the ground for most of the winter. I've not SEEN my garden in ages. It is covered in snow. I cannot imagine planting anything in mid-March this year unless the weather changes very, very soon. There is no way right now to begin any soil preparation for peas or potatoes, as the soil is covered in snow and very, very saturated. Right now, the only places where I can see the ground, it is extremely muddy. When sandy soil is muddy (I live, essentially, on a great sand dune), you know there is a lot of water! It is going to take awhile for the ground to thaw and let all that excess water move on down to the water table.

Given current conditions, I anticipate delayed planting this spring.

Today is less than beautiful - it cannot decide whether to rain or snow. It has been alternating between those forms of precipitation off and on all day. It is is - cold and wet. It is not cold enough to keep you warm and dry when you go out to do chores, so if you are out for long it feels colder than it feels when the weather is 30 degrees colder. But it is this transitional weather that signals that winter is passing and that heralds the promise of spring.

This too shall pass. Spring will get here. And the forest will blush with green as the days lengthen and warmth returns. And in time, I will be able to get into the garden and plant. It may be another challenging weather year, though. :)

Gloria