homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chimfex sticks

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chimfex sticks
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:11:56 -0500

On 2/3/2010 9:28 PM, EarthNSky wrote:
Do those things go bad?
Can't say. We had one by each of the stoves in VA, had them for some years. Never had to use one at home but did grab one and take to neighbor's house one night and it did the trick in no time, well before the fire trucks got there. At that time, that one would have been about 6/7 years old.

Unfortunately the fire had already gotten out (very bad deal, loose bricks and no liner) in the attic but a couple of fire extinguishers took care of that (also before the trucks got there). We bought one to replace that one, I brought both to Maine with me and both died in the house fire here. That's when I discovered there were no more... I was glad to see today that they are back on the market, even though I keep my chimney in good shape, and just Saturday I took all the stovepipe off and cleaned it out; I do that about the middle of every heating season. In fact, that's when I got serious about hunting the part I needed.

I'd think if kept dry and not crushed they should be OK for the duration, but that's been not tested.

SJ