homestead - Re: [Homestead] pay as you go phones

  • From: Tim Oppenheim <timopp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pay as you go phones
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:43:13 -0600

Don,

The cheap ones at Wal-Mart are fine. You need to make sure that the carrier
you buy your minutes from has services in the area you will be using it. As
an example, locally, I can buy a Virgin ( Richard Branson's )phone and
minutes, and while it may work it just not going to make anyone happy.

The next little worry is the minutes on the phone expire so it become a pain
to keep them topped off. Finally, any phone is able to access 911 whether it
has service or not. So if you just need one for that, letting the minutes
expire is okay.

Tim