homestead - Re: [Homestead] more on DC, more on Obamacare

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] more on DC, more on Obamacare
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:23:28 -0800

The problem with tort reform is that it brings out the crazies. Screams of get rid of the lawyers.

Now, I'm sure your wife could tell you some horror stories about the number of doctors AND nurses that shouldn't even be allowed to empty a bedpan, let alone practice medicine and the number of folks who couldn't afford a lawyer that should own some doctor somewhere.

Personally, I think tort reform should be along the lines of the Social Security lawyers. And payment should be along the lines of Worker's Comp. If some child is damaged and has a life expectancy of "x" years that will require "y" in care, then judges, not juries should be doing the math. It costs MILLIONS to care for a child through adulthood and to the end of their life if that is the kind of damage that has been done.

Plus, in some cases I do think there should be punitive damages!

AND, if the doc is a repeat offender, then take him for all he's worth!

I've seen the damage some of these clowns do. And that applies to FNPs and PAs, also. Right now my neighbor has a little girl who will spend the rest of her life with a heart condition. The FNP they were seeing at the local clinic told the mother she was, and I quote "a worry wort" when she brought her daughter in concerned about lyme disease. When she brought her back again, she was told to pray. When she brought her in a third time, she was told maybe her daughter needed to see a shrink. She went to a *real* doctor who actually ran tests and guess what, lyme disease. Only problem is, had she been given a simple antibiotic when see first went in, this SEVEN YEAR OLD wouldn't have permanent heart damage.

Now, if this woman was a first time offender, I would say cover the girls medical needs. HOWEVER, this isn't a first time offense. Simple rash diagnosed as MRSA and hundreds of $$ in antibiotics ordered. URI diagnosed WITHOUT tests as lung cancer (scared the *#&$S^ out of that 10 year old's parents). Pulled muscle in the neck diagnosed as clogged arteries and multiple tests ordered BUT, before the tests, patient is told they will need major surgery which frequently results in death (I know cause that one was me). Elderly man with multiple complications comes in, she orders a medication that is contraindicated for his other conditions that SHE has been treating for over two years. One week later he is dead. Teenager comes in with stroke like symptoms, she says wait and see because we can't get any tests done because your insurance doesn't cover it. Parents get peeved after calling the office over and over for a period of two months and do the leg work themselves. All that was needed was a letter of recommendation. She refuses to do it because she says in her experience it doesn't do any good. Finally a nurse in the office does it, signs her name and the tests are scheduled within one week.

So, how should tort reform effect her? Under the Lynda Law, she'd be without a license to practice in any of the states, PERIOD! Plus her insurance would be paying lots of people *some* money and a few people a LOT of money!

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.
----- Original Message ----- From: <dsanner106 AT aol.com>

I agree, but on the last point, ante-ing up the cost of the doctors malpractice insurance is fine, but tort reform

would be in order at the same time. The quantity and size of verdicts in these medical malpractice suits is way out of hand and if my taxpayer dollars will fund the insurance, that needs to be brought into order. Certainly there are doctors deserving of these suits, but the current suit level is ridiculous.