homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology, was

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology, was
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:33:38 -0400

I had the same problem...septic system and hard well water. Now that I am handwashing, I make sure that even if they air dry, they are rinsed well. No spots or streaks.

Since I don't intend to sell the house, I'm thinking that I've owned my last dishwasher. I'd rather have the cabinet space. However, everyone except you guys thinks I'm crazy for not wanting one.

Robert Walton wrote:
I've got a decision to make about a dishwasher.

In my city house that I was renovating for sale, I put in a dishwasher. It
was a slightly used stainless steel job that matched the other kitchen
appliances. It went over really well when I sold the place.

I used it some once it was in, but really only had a few months with it
before I sold the house. It was a luxury, real waster of water and current.
But it was fun to use for a while.

I'm redoing the kitchen here and can't imagine using a dishwasher, for one
thing, I'd have to really rinse off everything first. The dishwasher had a
garbage disposal in it, but I'd hate to put all of what's left on the dishes
in the septic tank.

If I'm going to have to rinse them off first, I'd rather just wash them.

The other thing about the dishwasher is it always left streaks on the
dishes. I think that those streaks might be from the soap. Washing by hand,
I'm sure that I'm getting stuff clean and rinsed well.

Rob - Va