homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:11:36 -0700

At 8/19/2009 10:06 PM,EarthNSky wrote:
Equally ironic that most authors now publish their work online for zero
income, fame but no fortune.

When I was at Comic-con last month I sat in on a board where 5 on-line comic writers talked about making a living off the internet while giving their comics away for free. It was interesting.

There is always technology. The question is, how much of it do you
choose to use. Do you write with a pen, or a pencil, or do you even
write at all anymore?

A pen or a pencil ( I did use both today, 4 different pencils and the same pen twice) or the computer... which is better for a given task? Which is more 'fun'? Which is closer?
So much of this machinery/no machinery , technology or not really gets down to what do "you" like to do.

I wash and dry things right after I use them if it's just me doing something like making my lunch or waffles for the family in the morning, the dish washer does get used too. I'll admit that I'm the only one in this house who does their dishes as they use them. Cleaning up the cutting board, knife, the metal bowl I used for the tuna fish and the glass bowl for the Spanish rice for dinner makes me feel better. I use them, I wash and dry them, I put them away and feel good about it.

I have done wood working projects with just hand tools because I want to and the next time with power tools because I want to. It's not better either way, there is not a "right" or "wrong" to it, it is a personal choice, it's just something that makes me feel good about it.

Dishwasher or no dishwasher? It's your life and your choice, do what ever makes YOU feel better. There is so much work in a homestead existence you have to enjoy the lifestyle or have no other choice.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA