homestead - Re: [Homestead] tomato questions

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tomato questions
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 13:25:36 -0700 (PDT)

I read on one of the blossom end rot sites that salt interfers with calcium
uptake.  I'm not quite sure how salty my area is, but in one of the desert
gardening books, they make a big deal about irrigating a certain way because
of high soil salt (which I attempted to do in one of the gardens,,,, and have
decided it is a waste..LOL),,,, but the author said salt rises to the top and
crusts on the soil.  Another author says important to water deep to wash the
salts down.   I did it both ways and I can't tell any difference...yet at
least.

So how long does it take you to pick tomatoes every day?

It sure takes me a while to look in all the hiding places under the leaves to
find them.  I picked 32 tomatoes today, and I suppose I should get to doing
something with them.  I actually wish it was more like 120 tomatoes, as 32
reduced into tomato sauce/paste or whatever doesn't really make a enuf for
canning.

Someone needs to write a more practical book for beginners.  I search the web
for all kinds of stuff, and never seem to find the right answer.

For example, a description of a mature squash might say10#.  Ughhh !  What
does the author want me to do?  Carry a scale out to the garden and weigh it
before picking?  :-)  What does 10# look like?  4" x 4",,,,,,,,, or 10" x
10".......... or what.

Same thing for the canning recipes.  Put in 12# of <whatever>....  What does
12# look like when picking?  I'm keeping my own notes.

X number of cukes makes 2 quarts of pickles,, when cukes are x inches long.

6-8 jalapenos per 1/2 pint jar canned (so I don't pick unless I have enough
to can up a bunch of jars)

Anyway, overall the Romas are doing well in the desert, despite the blossom
end rot on a few tomatoes.

I can't wait to try other varieties, and I'm disappointed that all the
heirloom plants I started from seed were killed.  I think it was around 30
plants, and I'm thinking that would have helped out with the canning, as I
use a lot of tomato paste/sauce, spaghetti sauce, chili sauce etc.  I didn't
realize I would need so many more tomatoes than I've been getting to can up a
years worth !!

Is a Jersey tomato a variety, or just tomatoes grown in Jersey that had a
special taste?