homestead - Re: [Homestead] tomato questions

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tomato questions
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:04:51 -0800

Blossom end rot. Get some Tums, crush them up and water them into the soil. Your tomatoes need calcium.

Lynda
The press corp is fact-adverse but very fable friendly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

But when I brought the tomatoes inside, on the end of the tomato (opposite end to where it attaches to the plant).......... it is brown to black. The whole end of the tomato is useless, but the rest of the tomato is fine. I ate the other half and my taste test is no indicator, but it tasted fine.

1. What causes the blackend /browed distal end?

2. Can I can the good part of the tomato after cutting off the end?

3. If this is some kind of virus or disease do I need to remove the affected plant(s).

4. If 3 is a yes........ is this something that will affect the seeds in the Walmart plants (since I want to save seeds for next year).

Any help appreciated.

I haven't been able to find a pic on the internet yet that matches what I'm seeing.