homestead - [Homestead] A law the current administration wants repealed.

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] A law the current administration wants repealed.
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:55:55 -0700 (PDT)

 I recently attended a breakfast meeting where the speaker/guest was David E.
Cole, Chairman Center for Automotive Research (CAR). You have all likely
heard Cole CAR quoted, or referred to in the auto industry news lately.

Mr. Cole, who is an engineer by training, told many stories of the difficulty
of working with the folks that the Obama administration has sent to save the
auto industry. There have been many meetings where a 30+ year experience
automotive expert has to listen to a newcomer to the industry, someone with
zeromanufacturing experience, zero auto industry experience, zero business
experience, zero finance experience, and zero engineering experience, tell
them how to run their business.

His favorite story is as follows:

There was a team of Obama people speaking to Mr Cole (Engineer, automotive
experience 40+ years, Chairman of CAR). They were explaining to Mr. Cole that
the auto companies needed to make a car that was electric and lquid natural
gas (LNG) with enough combined fuel to go 500 miles so we wouldn't "need" so
many gas stations (A whole other topic). They were quoting BTU's of LNG and
battery life that they had looked up on some website.

Mr. Cole explained that to do this you would need a trunk FULL of batteries
and a LNG tank at big as a car to make that happen and that there were
problems related to the laws of physics that prevented them from...

The Obama person interrupted and said (and I am quoting here) "These laws of
physics? Who's rules are those, we need to change that. (Some of the others
wrote down the law name so they could look it up) We have the congress and
the administration. We can repeal that law, amend it, or use an executive
order to get rid of that problem. That's why we are here, to fix these sort
of issues".

I DON'T know if the above is a true story,,, but I sure thought it was funny
true or not !!

:-)