homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sericea Lespedeza

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sericea Lespedeza
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:58:21 -0700 (PDT)

Ouch that was a lot of trees gone.

Last year I did the first fertilizing on the pecan trees hand scattered like
that and was pretty careful on the amount used, and built "moates" from the
drip line towards the trunk to keep the water in the right place.  Later my
brother was digging up some of the weeds, and carelessly exposed the roots
and then tossed fertilizer on the roots and nearly killed the long
established trees.  The leaves were horribly burned.  I wasn't sure if it was
from the way he fertilzed or some other problem and called the extension guy
out.  It was 2 things. He burned up the roots, and there was an iron
deficiency (probably caused by flooding here last year).

This year I expanded the "moates" (to hold the water over the root zone)
further out to allow for some expansion, and dug 8" deep holes 8 around each
tree, and portioned out the fertilizer in the holes and buried them,,,, as
somewhere during the last year I read that one of the ingredients in the
fertilizer can evaporte (not the right word, but I think you can figure out
what I mean).....  The first application is right when the leaf buds start,
and the leaf coverage is really great this year, and I applied chelated iron,
and most of the iron deficiency seems corrected, but I will add more iron
next year.  2nd application of fertilizer (buried again) was done shortly
after the blooms for the nuts.  This is an "off-year" for pecans, so I'm not
expecting a big harvest, but I can see that the trees did recover from last
year's mishap.

You've got deer,,,, I've got ground squirrels.  They are so brazen about
stealing baby veggies.... that I found a 3" yellow squash (1-2 days old on
the plant) dragged about 50' away.  The only thing that slows them down it
that I put mouse traps near anything growing and the slightest movement makes
them "snap" and scares them away.... LOL.  I have to reset them every few
days.... so I guess their attention span is somewhat short.