homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sericea Lespedeza

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sericea Lespedeza
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 07:25:50 -0400

> The ground here is still cracking. We aren't in drought either, but it
> hasn't rained significantly in a while. We got like half an inch, and
> it only filled my rainwater tank half full. At least it is reasonably
> cool. I think the high today was like 88, odd that we are mid-late July
> and still in the 80's for highs. I love it.

I was just wondering yesterday about the rain in your area. Last year was so
dry. The last two years have been dry here, so it's strange having rain. It
rained 1/4 inch night before last and then almost 2 inches yesterday
afternoon.

Before the 1 inch last week, the ground here was cracking, too. Like I
said, it was a month with little rain. The MO this summer has been "when it
rains, it pours". Lot's of rain and then none. After the last two years, I'm
not complaining.

Last year, I had about 30 goats. In August I sold off most of them. The
pasture was so dry. In fall, I ran over it with the bush hog, flew over it
with the tractor, just giving it a trim to cut off the seed heads.

Last weekend, I mowed off some areas of the pasture. Had to crawl through
it, it was almost too much for the tractor. I wanted to cut it down so some
new tender growth comes up and before it got too much to get through.

I was about hanging my head in defeat on the Sudan grass cover crop. With
this rain, it should turn around. I mowed off one small field last weekend.
The rest will be ready to mow in a couple of weeks with this rain.

Hope the rains come your way. The other thing I was wondering about is your
Pawlonia trees. How have they fared?

Rob - Va