homestead - [Homestead] Sericea Lespedeza

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sericea Lespedeza
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:42:33 -0400

Since I have a name, I've been doing some research on sericea lepedeza. My
own research shows that goats like it and do well on it. They will eat it
down enough that it will not come back well if they get the chance to.
I the field that it was growing and I plowed it, it did not come back much.
What I've read says it does not compete well with other plants, that may
also be why it didn't come back in that field.

It's been show to help control worms in goats as pasture or hay. I'm on a
boer goat group and the people there (mostly midwest) say it is a noxious
weed. They had a big hullabaloo over someone suggesting that it was good in
goat pasture. Of course, they prefer chemical wormers.

Here are some links if anyone is interested.

This one is to a PDF:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1318/ANR-1318.pdf
<http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1318/ANR-1318.pdf>
http://www.extension.org/pages/Goat_Pastures_Sericea_lespedeza

I think that the Korean lesdedeza is probably a better pasture addition, but
I like the idea of my goats eating some sericea on a regular basis also.
That may be why I've not had a big worm problem with my goats.

Rob - Va