homestead - Re: [Homestead] potato flowers !

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] potato flowers !
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 06:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks!  What is a safe way to dig into the soil to get some of the new
potatoes out without messing up any of the fibrous roots for the rest of the
plant?

30" of old manure wow!

I'm experimenting with a few different ways to see which works best here in
the desert.  The highest stack of tires I got is only 20" hilled up, and then
the flowers started so I stopped stacking higher after your post abour the
flowers..  I hilled a little at a time.  The plants that get a bit of
afternoon shade are somewhat taller (shade is hard to come by here).... I
planted some in full sun, some in areas that get filtered sun in the a/m,
full most of the day and filtered in the late afternoon, and then others in
areas that get full sun from around 6am until around noonish and then plenty
of shade the rest of the day... (those are the tallest and thickest of
course). I know plants need lots of sun, and the later was done as an
experiment to deal with heat issues.

--------