homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:46:01 -0400

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I harvested my first head, slightly undersized, on 5/2, but truly,
> harvest did not start until 5/11. I had to cut one early because I did
> not want it to go to waste while we were on vacation. I grew Packman
> and DeCicco, and the Decicco is doing better, larger plants, larger
> heads, etc. My broccoli was sown in flats on Jan 38, transplanted to
> the garden on 3/5 and 3/12. Both varieties had good germination. I've
> been eating florets in salad and rice and pasta, but have yet to cook a
> head, but so far so gooooood.
>
> Robert Walton wrote:
> > We were keeping tabs of when we planted broccoli and when we harvest
> > it. I set out my plants about 3/20. Heads are coming up and I should
> > start harvest about 5/20.

I made my main harvest yesterday, May 28. I cut a head from just about every
plant. In spite of the on off, hot cold temps this spring, it was a pretty
good spring for broccoli. It all came in at the same time and made some
beautiful, full heads. Sweet. Both varieties matured at the same time,
Goliath and Packman.

I probably put up 40 - 50 quart bags. Not one worm with no spraying. (It
must not have been a good year for them). I see cabbage moths fluttering all
over the planting, so maybe I got in just ahead of them.

I'll give it a few weeks for the side shoots.

Rob - Va