homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 18:46:39 EDT

>> Lots and lots of wasted hay, so it should
> not be too strong. I can mix in some soil once the bedding composts.

Rob, if you pile that goat litter 'in situ' where you propose your bed, it
will all be completely digested duff by midsummer if not much sooner. You
can mix the soil in with it, certainly, but even better is some sand,
limestone sand, or red clay (but not blue clay or yellow clay).

> >For the sides

Being a broken record here, but I have to mention it every time this comes
up: you don't actually have to have sides a all. I'm going to post some
pictures of what I'm talking about. With the good soil you are making, it
does not erode.

James