homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 11:50:11 -0400

Another one...

EarthNSky wrote:
I'm back from vacation, more on that later...
I read all these raised bed threads and I haven't seen this
mentioned...for people who have limited space, like those in the city or
on smaller acreages, James' bed take up more square footage as the
'side' of the bed is sloped and not planted. Having multiple 'piles'
around might not work for more those who want a more 'organized' look
for their small space(like SFG). Compared to the square foot gardening
concept, using a straight sided bed, it seems to take more area.
But James, why can't you/don't you plant the sides with greens? If you
planted the slopes, then yeah, this would have zero disadvantages.

Bev