homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 08:53:38 EDT

> >Shaped sides require maintenance--deweeding, reshaping--and make the
> plants a further reach from your feet. Their advantages include labor-
> only costs and increased root space per bed top area.

Not to disagree, Gene, but only to point out that every disadvantage has
its advantage. (and, alas, vice versa). Sideless beds as I am describing
have sides that are far steeper than might be thought. A bed 30" tall
(probably the practical limit) developed to the best condition of soil will
be 48"
at the base and 28" across the top. That's the same plant-to-toe room you'd
get if you used 10" wide material to make the bed.

But 30" beds aren't the rule and most to the time they are growing
potatoes, sweet potatoes, or some sort of vine crop that want's to scraggle
over the
sides. Most beds stop growing vertically at about 18".

> >Solid bed sides allow any height, to accomodate joint comfort.

The one big difference between sides and not is that for sure you cannot
sit on or lean agains the sides of my beds. But one has to decide the extent
to which one want's to accommodate the joints or enhance their flexibility.
So far I find an advantage to engaging in a little 'garden yoga'. Some of
the beds are seeded or transplanted by sitting beside the bed, legs out and
parallel to the bed, then twisting toward the bed to plant or tend it. To
be sure this is accompanied by creaks and groans in the late winter, but by
early summer the joints have loosened up so much that it is a natural
posture.

Some beds are planted and tended by bending over the bed from a standing or
kneeling position. For this purpose I have a staff that is placed either
at the far side of the bed or right in the middle of it. The left hand holds
the staff while the right hand does the work. It gets to be a very natural
position and a couple hours a day of this stretches all the involved
muscles and loosens up the joints from ankles all the way throught the
shoulders.
It promotes balance and deep breathing.

Wood sawing, scything, and hoeing (the corn and potatoes) are the tai-chi
and tending the beds is the yoga. Planning and reflecting are the
meditation. The result is 'Garden Wa'.

James