homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 17:07:14 -0500

Rob, check out our Healthy Harvest seminar on how we raise beds for free:
http://friocanyonhealthyharvest.blogspot.com/2009/02/successful-organic-gardening-seminar.html

Better photos of our raised beds on my blog:
http://flowerweaver.blogspot.com/2009/04/ideal.html

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

Robert Walton wrote:
Hey all,

I've decided that I want to do a raised bed or two. The main reason is
to have a place to grow salad greens, carrots, etc.

I was thinking to make the bed now and try to get it full of soil by
fall. I have to clean 2 years of deep bedding from my goat shed, it's
mostly peed on hay and poop. Lots and lots of wasted hay, so it should
not be too strong. I can mix in some soil once the bedding composts.

For the sides, I'm looking around to see what I can use that's free. I
have tons of pine trees. I could cut down a 12" or so thick pine and
cut logs to make the sides. I think that it would at last 5 or 6 years
being that thick. In that time, the soil should hold up if I needed to
remove a log and replace it.

I'm also going to hit up the sawmill and see if they have some cull
cedar or other lumber that might work.

What problems do you see with my idea for filling the bed and using
logs as sides?

Rob - Va