homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Beds
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 10:42:44 -0700

On May 2, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Robert Walton wrote:

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:
Well developed organic soil does not compress, flatten, erode or otherwise
move even in very hard wind and rain. My entire Center of the Universe
garden is in what you'd technically call "raised beds" but there have never been
any sides on them. Depending on their age, composition, purpose, etc. they
are anywhere from 6" tall to 30" tall.

I know we've discussed before, but your beds are just strategically
place piles of well developed organic soil, then?

Takes care of the sides issue.

Shaped sides require maintenance--deweeding, reshaping--and make the plants a further reach from your feet. Their advantages include labor- only costs and increased root space per bed top area.

Solid bed sides allow any height, to accomodate joint comfort.