homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hayloaders was Re: Buying a Scythe

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hayloaders was Re: Buying a Scythe
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:48:23 -0400

Here: http://www.two-cylinder.com/images/Jan08/48a.jpg is a photo of a loader/press, a more complicated rig than we're working on. The "press" is an early 'baler' sort of critter. What they're working on in the workshop is a couple of loaders, only...no press. If you look at the loader portion of this photo (left side only of the machine shown) you'll see the belts, or webbings, with their hooks. In the case of this rig, they would dump the hay into the trough shown at the top, where it moved to the press. On just the loader, without the press, the hay is just dumped off the back, where a wagon was hitched.

John asked if I'd repair these things, and I said sure, then he brought them out: a full-size pickup load of the things, with hooks all over the place! Fortunately, he didn't need it done until I'd burned most of the wood for the winter, so there was a place to offload them. And fortunately, I have an industrial machine with a huge bed and open throat. Still, it's kind of like trying to sew up a porcupine! A couple of them had to be completely replaced (dry rot), and I have the new belts sewn up and the grommets set in them; I'll be interested to watch him set the hooks.

Story about a naughty little girl who lived at my house a long time ago: she threw a brick at a sow and hit her in the nose. Sow chased her the only place she could go---up a hayloader. She had to stay up there, sow snorting and fussing at the bottom, all day......missed breakfast, missed dinner....afraid to answer people calling her because she'd have to explain why the sow had a bloody nose.... Finally, almost dark, my uncle heard the sow still snorting around and found me up there, and did I get my butt busted! To this day I've no clue why I'd chuck a brick at a sow, I wasn't really a mean kid, just one of the stupid things a kid will do, I guess.

SJ