homestead - Re: [Homestead] Germination report

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Germination report
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:16:32 -0800

Do you peel and deseed your tomatoes? The majority of the acid and, for that matter, the protein, are in the seeds and skins. The skins being the main culprit in acidity. The seeds providing more protein than the skins. Also, very or over ripe tomatoes will have less acid.

I added sugar to my jars,and to the sauces and pastes, but it was still
too acidic. I thought it was okay, his taste differed. I think some
people are more sensitive to acids. I recall that he got mouth ulcers
from the acidity. Did not affect me, but then I could eat a truckload
of sweet tarts when I was a kid, and that didn't affect me either.
In recent years, his taste for hot and spicy is waning as well. Mine
seems to be still in gear, however.
I liked the size and texture of Rutgers. It is a very pretty tomato,
not too many seeds, just the right amount of juice. I just thought I
would like to try another variety, maybe Heinz.
Rob, I've got enough toms to keep me busy for this year, but I will take
you up on the offer of seed in the Fall, send me your address offlist..
Thanks!