homestead - Re: [Homestead] Germination report II

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Germination report II
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:39:05 -0400

Today I transplanted some of my tomatoes and peppers(first transplant).
I like to transplant tomatoes at least three times before putting them
in the ground. I bury them up to the top leaves each time, and of
course, they end up with massive root systems that withstand drought
very well.
I also planted carrots, beets, and radishes into a the new 'carrot bed'
I am basically square foot gardening in this bed, starting at one end and planting carrots, and putting the beets at the other end. Radishes will be in the middle and intermixed. I am going to follow James' advice and reseed carrots every 3 weeks until summer(I think he resows every two weeks tho). I'll plant two square feet at a time. As I use the carrots, I replant the tops in the section they were pulled. Next year, I will reverse ends, growing the carrots where the beets were and visa versa. In my other beds, I do rotate where I put things, but it will be a challenge in this bed because it is small(2x12). The best I can do is an end to end rotation.

I was so pleasantly surprised in the greenhouse today that I think the
neighbors could have heard me yell "Alright!". For the first time ever,
I have henbane, rue, and valerian seedlings as well as a few more
lavender seedlings. I really hope I can keep these alive. My pickling
cucumbers have also germinated.

It has been a few years since I've grown borage and I can't remember how
it tolerates a deep transplant. Two seedlings are leggy, but have real
leaves and need to be transplanted. I can't deep plant(that is what I
call it when I bury half the stem) them, can I?

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/