homestead - Re: [Homestead] Germination report

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Germination report
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:19:22 -0400

Is the Heinz a good canning tomato? I'm assuming it is determinate? I am looking for a determinate canning tomato that is less acid than Rutgers. I know the high acid part is what makes a good canner, but DH doesn't like them too acid.
As far as the different varieties, I was just trying to update my seed supplies-out with the old, hoping for new.

Robert Walton wrote:

I just thinned them, I planted the seeds real thick cause they are old
and seems like they all came up. I'll probably end up with 25 of each,
but select that down to 12 or so of each.

I haven't planted Heinz for 3 years. I've tried Rutgers and other
determinates. I like to plant some of them to get a big rush of fruit
for canning. I've decided that I liked the Heinz better than the
others I'd tried. Nice sized round tomatoes.

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/