homestead - [Homestead] Beer bottle recycling

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Beer bottle recycling
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:25:43 -0700

I have written earlier that beer bottles of brown glass work well for small seed storage. Finding good stoppers has been a bit of a challenge. Regular wine corks typically expand too much upon extraction. There is a new wine bottle cork that is shorter and less expansive than traditional corks and has a wide plastic top. This makes it easy to insert or extract the cork stopper. Such corks may now be found on some 1.5 liter wine bottles. They fit beer bottles perfectly. The challenge, of course, is producing the appropriate balance of bottles and stoppers. Truth be told, production outpaces need.

Cooks who use dry herbs can use such stoppered beer bottles for both herb storage and daily use. What made me think to write this post is my current task of making my version of Italian Seasoning, a flavor I use in many personal recipes. I am today, March 6th, taking advantage of the fact that rosemary grows year-round here in Phoenix, my basil plants have survived the mild winter and are producing modestly, and oregano is on the rise.

Beer bottles and other colored bottles may be used as aggregate in concrete mixes used for concrete countertops, walkways, decorative containers and the like. For those who do not have a nearby recycling center, broken glass can always be used as part of the aggregate in concrete mixes for footings and foundations.

Wear seriously good eye protection when smashing bottles of any kind.