homestead - Re: [Homestead] Planting...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Planting...
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:23:53 -0500

March 30-April 5, so they say. I use March 30. Of course, that is the
50/50 date. It has snowed and stuck in mid April, and snowed in early
May here....very, very unusual though. Was it two years ago that
everything was killed by that mid-late April hard freeze?

In my big beds, since there is composting going on in there and there is
plenty of air pocket insulation, things say warmer, probably 10-20
degrees warmer than the ground directly. I just watch the weather, and
if the temps drop, I cover my beds with reemay, plastic pots, tarps, or
whatever.

I had to go to town today and I could not help myself as I drove by the
feed store. I bought a Gala Apple, almost 8 ft tall,(with ball is 9+),
for $13. The tag states that it is a dwarf tree, but I think not. Then
I saw some Brussel Sprouts-transplants, and you know, I decided what the
heck..lol...I sowed seed in January, but it never sprouted, old seed...I
have new seed and was saving it for the Fall garden, but I took the easy
way out.

Rob, we sowed onions at about the same time. Mine look more like chives
at this point, about 3" tall. They are in a 1x2 wooden flat. Stem
diameter is like toothpick width or a bit less. When can I remove them
from flat and put them in the ground outside?

A neighbor came by today to see how the garden was going, and he brought
a gift of California Red onions. These were in a 9 pk, but there were 2
per cell. I traded him some of my mild yellow onions that were about
the same age as he only had white green onions and the red ones. It was
a good trade, I think. I hoed a row, and planted them today, too.
Lucky me. If these Red Burgundy guys take off, I will be drying onions
for weeks!

I just took some pictures... will try to publish them later today...not
much to look at,,,,yet...

I still have a few cauliflower to transplant, but there was an anthill
in the bed. I doused the ants with boiling vinegar water, and now I am
waiting on them to find another home before I can transplant the last of
my cauliflower.

Robert Walton wrote:
Bev, I'm curious, what is your average last frost date?

Rob - Va

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:32 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>