homestead - Re: [Homestead] hi - car trouble & question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] hi - car trouble & question
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:02:57 EST

> >If this were you, what would you look into or think about getting? Guess
> I'll begin calling nearby dealers and see what they have used under $4k.

Lisa, it is a buyer's market. You should be able to get two serviceable
vans for $4K (or one for half that or less). If you deal with car dealers
(and
I wouldn't recommend it) ... go see several cars and low ball them like
crazy. Be ridiculous and offer $1200 for one worth $3000 and priced $7000.

Do the same on lists and with individuals only realize that their prices are
probably more within the scope of reality and so only lowball them a little.

If you don't have to have the second vehicle right away, look at a lot of
them and make low offers.

If I had $4K to spend on a 4+ passenger vehicle, I'd get one for $2K or less,
or much less, and put the rest in a Mason jar (so to speak) against the next
vehicle.

I practice what I preach. Our multi-passenger vehicle is a Dodge minivan we
bought in 1997 for $2200. It's still going fine. In twelve years I've
replaced the brakes, radiator and I may have done a water pump (can't recall,
might
have been another vehicle). It doesn't carry collision insurance. We long
ago put enough for another vehicle in a Mason jar (so to speak) and when this
one dies, it had a good run ... R.I.P. (rest in pieces), we donate it to the
quickest junk yard and go buy another one unabated.

James