homestead - Re: [Homestead] hi - car trouble & question

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] hi - car trouble & question
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 14:02:20 -0800

At 3/3/2009 01:49 PM,Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry wrote:

We now find ourselves 'in a fix.' Most of the time we don't need two cars.
However, our only car now is husband's 1996 Jeep which is on the small side
to transport 4 of us (2 teen boys, husband and me) on a road trip (though it
could be done), or for the 5 of us (including live-in client) if we are all
going somewhere. I drive my live-in client 35 miles one-way to various appts
and errands regularly on average 1-2x per week. Four months during the year
I also drive youngest son to soccer games & practice 2x week 30 miles
one-way. All trips are consolidated. Usual assorted other errands are needed
are into Floyd 13 miles one-way. It is rare that we are all 5 in the car
together, oldest son is nearly 19 and is either busy working or doesn't want
to go with us, he also has his own car. The Jeep gets crappy gas mileage.
The van got 26 mph which wasn't great but was far better than the Jeep. The
Jeep is paid for (as was the van) and serves as our 4wd vehicle which is
necessary in sw VA (particularly when we have ice or 15" of snow like we
rec'd Sunday into Monday).

It looks like we're getting a check for $3700+/- plus tax and title fee
(whatever that amounts to). The State Farm agent suggested we could buy back
our car and repair it ourselves, which would mean paying our mechanic to do
the bare minimum--probably cost as much or more than what we'd get in the
check after buying and making the car road worthy.

If this were you, what would you look into or think about getting? Guess
I'll begin calling nearby dealers and see what they have used under $4k.

Thanks,

Lisa

If you are happy with what the insur people are offering you I'd take the money and go look at craigslist. Actually I'd go look at craigslist now ands see if the 3700 is enough to replace your van.
You have a vehicle so it's not an emergency just an inconvenience, you oldest kid has his own car so he is either out of the picture or an additional asset.

I'd check to see what you do about replacing the van and go for that, remember to save some coin for all the small things you're 'new' car will need,. Fluid changes, tires, brakes etc.

Good luck.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA