homestead - Re: [Homestead] hi - car trouble & question

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] hi - car trouble & question
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:41:49 -0500

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Warren <mogrits AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > If this were you, what would you look into or think about getting? Guess
> > I'll begin calling nearby dealers and see what they have used under $4k.
>
> I would not do this, as they will be then attempt to sell you 2k cars for
> the 4k they know you have in your pocket.

Good point.

> Consumer Reports Most Reliable Small Used Cars (model years 1999 - 2008):
>
> * Honda Civic
> * Toyota Echo
> * Scion xB
> * Toyota Corolla
> * Toyota Matrix
> * Pontiac Vibe
> * Mazda 3
> * Mazda Protege
> * Subaru Impreza

My husband called our reliable mechanic who recommended Toyota, Honda or
Nissan based on cars with less problems overall and less expensive problems.
We asked about Subaru (popular around here!), his comment was to avoid them
as they are a big source of revenue for him (head gasket problems, etc.).

I liked my van, but I'll get over it.

Thanks, guys.

Lisa