homestead - Re: [Homestead] Those who move to the land

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Those who move to the land
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:49:07 -0500

Very interesting Gene, thanks!
I would enjoy reading more.
Jeanne
tnhillwoman
North East TN zone 6
----- Original Message -----
From: Gene GeRue
To: Homestead
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:11 PM
Subject: [Homestead] Those who move to the land

The recurrent interest in homesteader identity sent me to my book to
see what my definition was the last time I thought about it. Chapter
Four includes many different groups of those who move to the land.
This is the first part:

Chapter 4 - Who are you?

Development of character

consists solely in moving toward self-sufficiency.

Quentin Crisp

Most of us feel pretty confident that we know who we are. In fact we
proudly disclose ourselves to the world—to total strangers we meet in
stores, bars and especially at parties. Less willingly we reveal all
(well, nearly all) to employment agencies, credit agencies and the
I.R.S. Extended city living dampens such enthusiasm. In the city world
of crime and incessant, aggressive marketing we retreat behind
security doors and answering machines. From a state of willingly
proclaiming ourselves to all who ask, we have evolved to using
defensive screening techniques. “Who are you with?” “How do you know
her?” “What is your business with him?” “I’m very busy; is this
important?”
Knowing who we are and acknowledging the truth, if only to ourselves,
is of critical value in determining which country conditions will make
us happiest. People who move from city to country generally fall into
definable groups, rather like subspecies. For some, moving from city
to country is like mutating—for others, simply reverting to type. I
don’t particularly like labels but in this case using them will be
helpful to our quest. Categories of those repotting themselves in
country soil, in no particular order, are back-to-the-landers/
homesteaders, boomer burnouts/urban refugees, concerned parents,
retirees and cashing outers, environmentalists, and survivalists.

Back-to-the-landers/homesteaders

The back-to-the-land movement is correctly named only in that all of
our ancestors once lived on the land. (If Eve and the snake had not
collaborated on the apple thing we all might still be living—tightly—
in the original garden.) Some writers label all who move from city to
country as back-to-the-landers. This is a gross generalization. True
BTTLs—who may or may not be rock ’n’ rollers—are those who were born
in country, moved to bright lights for fun, fame and futures fortunes,
burned out on city heat, remembered rural serenity, and moved back—
typically either to their growing-up place or another like it. Those
who desperately desire to belong to this group but were city reared
are hereby allowed ancestral exemption, the grandfather clause for
BTTLs. Reach back as far as necessary.

Back-to-the-landers and homesteaders lead very similar lifestyles.
Homesteading is a self-reliant way of life on the land. There is
tremendous satisfaction and security to be derived from eating
homegrown food, staying warm with our own wood fuel and building and
maintaining buildings and support systems.

It is not possible to be entirely self-sufficient and still live a
high-quality life—such an effort quickly becomes long-hour drudgery.
It does make sense, however, to become self-reliant. Using current
technology, it is now possible to enjoy long-term, secure, lower-cost
living largely independent of public systems. A wind or photovoltaic
system with generator backup provides independence from the electric
company. A ram pump will supply gravity-fed water. Freezers and
canners extend homegrown food availability year-round. An energy-
efficient house, owner-built and maintained, can keep us winter-warm
with only solar gain, a stove and (homegrown) wood for heat. We can
even cook with wood—new wood-burning kitchen stoves are available
(but, boy, are they hot; an alternative stove for summertime use is
indicated). All of these things and more are possible right now.

One factor against being totally self-sufficient is that most of us
want to use as many labor-saving devices as we can afford. My father
taught me to make firewood with an axe and a crosscut saw; trust me
when I say that a chainsaw is more humane. Abe Lincoln is but the most
well-known of those who quickly tired of working wood with an axe.

As with rearing children, there is one area—home food production—where
the results are worth almost any effort. Growing food takes more time
than earning dollars and buying it. But the quality of homegrown food
far surpasses the best food in the best stores of the best food-
growing regions in the country. Homegrown vegetables and fruits are
fresher, more nutritious and are safe from chemical residue. Eating
poisoned food is courting an early demise—we might as well take up do-
it-yourself bungee jumping. Home gardeners can look their potatoes in
the eyes and feel good about what they see there.

Homesteading with modern tools and technology can be a very high-
quality lifestyle. Becoming self-reliant and independent from “the
system” are worthwhile and enriching goals. Our body, our family and
our planet benefit.

Other species of people moving to the land will be forthcoming if
interest is expressed.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/jeanne13%40earthlink.net