homestead - Re: [Homestead] Those who move to the land

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Those who move to the land
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:56:47 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

Knowing who we are and acknowledging the truth, if only to ourselves,
is of critical value in determining which country conditions will
make us happiest. People who move from city to country generally fall
into definable groups, rather like subspecies. For some, moving from
city to country is like mutating—for others, simply reverting to
type. I don’t particularly like labels but in this case using them
will be helpful to our quest. Categories of those repotting
themselves in country soil, in no particular order, are
back-to-the-landers/ homesteaders, boomer burnouts/urban refugees,
concerned parents, retirees and cashing outers, environmentalists,
and survivalists.

Ah yes, it is interesting that you use the term 'label'.
I just don't see the divisions as neatly as you do. I fit in multiple
categories.

Back-to-the-landers/homesteaders

Back-to-the-landers and homesteaders lead very similar lifestyles. Homesteading is a self-reliant way of life on the land. There is tremendous satisfaction and security to be derived from eating homegrown food, staying warm with our own wood fuel and building and
maintaining buildings and support systems.

Indeed. It is comforting, like an old quilt you curl up with on the sofa.

Other species of people moving to the land will be forthcoming if interest is expressed.

Expressed.

Bev

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge