homestead - Re: [Homestead] Those who move to the land

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Those who move to the land
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:38:14 -0500

It's interesting how we always have this need to fit into groups and
subgroups.

I moved to the country, but see myself as returning. My parents moved
us to the outskirts of town when I was a teen. Not one of their better
decisions, but probably necessary at the time. I'm glad I'm back.

One of the first things that I did when I moved here was to assure
that I didn't get pegged as a city slicker moved to the country. I
found that I still had the skills (however rusty) to pull that off.

I think it's really commendable when city people move to the country,
but they've chosen a tough row to hoe. Whether they call themselves
homesteaders or survivalists or some mix of the two, it's tough for
them to make a go of it.

Rob - Va