homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 06:17:41 -0500

> One bad thing here, is the other people on the property are not dog people.
> It's a long story, but the bottom line it is very confusing for the dog
> and resulted in dog insanity.... (my professional Dr. Doolittle diagnosis).
> We had one here earlier this year. The dog was one of the best dogs I'd
> seen in a long time (for trainability, smart, play instincts, etc). It was
> the other people here who weren't trainable. My brother gave her away one
> day inexplicably when. Best for the dog, IMO. But I still miss her.

That might not be a big problem for a LGD. Mine stays in the pasture
with the goats. She leaves the pasture each morning when I'm doing
chores and makes the rounds of the yard and comes back in about 15
minutes. She's not really a people dog. She likes to get petted, I
take her treats, but she's not friendly with other people in the
house. She also didn't need much training. She just kind of knows what
to do and picked up on the chickens being livestock by seeing me care
for them.

Rob - Va