homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small potatoes

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small potatoes
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:27:36 -0500

Susan Trickett wrote:
I'll bet you get a bigger yield when the weather is warmer.

The potatoes have been in the bag since about last June, warmer is a
few days during the summer of 80+, most summer days are 70's and high
60's.<BG> I will spread the straw out over a garden bed later today,
we didn't dig through it looking for potatoes because it was wet and
matted together, so maybe there will be more hiding. The tires would
be a great idea but we have a flight of stairs up to the house with
no other access, also because last year was our first garden we
didn't/don't have a lot of compost or good garden soil. I was trying
to stretch what I had:-)

Gotcha. I had forgotten how 'temperate' your summer temps are...wonderful potato growing weather. :)
Just out of curiosity, why have you not harvested them before? They were probably ready late summer...

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge