homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anti-hospital Rant

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anti-hospital Rant
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:55:51 -0800 (PST)

She has legal rights as a hpspital patient. There are a set of prime
directives that she, as the patient, or her medical power of attorney, as her
representative, can implenment.

Hospitals will almost always ask for them upon the beginning of every
hospitilization -- if for no other reason than that people do, sometimes,
change their minds about such things.

My MIL not only had the more common DNR, she also had addendae to inclue such
things as no artificial feeding; no additional invasive procedures, etc . Her
directives were very explicit, for shw was a retired RN, and knew the lenghts
some doctors and hospitals will go to keep a body leagally alive, even with
the patient suffering , miserable, and desiring to let go; But, she was also
Roman Catholic; she could not artificially hasten her own death.

So her directives were explicit. Stilll, there was a time when we had to
met with the hospital admistrator and her doctor (as my wife was her medical
power of attorney) and go over exactly what medical staff could and could not
do, as she faded away. My wife is a medical professional and it was still
not easy for her; but she insisted that thery follow her mother's wishes to
the letter.

She had excellent pallative care, in the end. That is all that her
directives allowed. She was not in pain; she did not suffer.