homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 54, Issue 159

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 54, Issue 159
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:23:39 -0500

Ivy Bickl wrote:
I'm so sorry for not being more specific in my original posts. I
guess I was just trying to give you the details of what we have
already in regards to the proposal I am preparing. We are to have 20
rabbits that I would like to house in colony style and about 10 goats
and 10 sheep. Only a few of these numbers will be male, and they
would need to kept separate mostly from the does, right? To make sure
not to have a negative effect on the milk?

Don't be sorry, we are just trying to get a handle on everything. I've never heard of an instant homestead/women's shelter, yet you are offering that and more.
20 rabbits in a colony would be tough. Females are very territorial. I'm curious as to why you would choose a colony arrangement vs. hanging cages with bins underneath to catch the valuable rabbit gold... If the thought of cages bothers you, you can always build a day tractor for the rabbits that can be rolled around to give them access to grass.
Re: sheep and goats, males are kept separate generally if you have dairy animals, but some people still practice keeping a mixed herd even with milking animals. Regardless of that reason, I'd say keep the intact males separate (one per pen)just for safety sake if there are going to be non farm-wise women and children around. Bucks and rams will fight each other to the death to win the rights to the herd.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the
world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone
are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge