homestead - [Homestead] Homesteading Eco Farm that hosts an abused womens sanctuary

  • From: Ivy Bickl <ivyb AT wanderersend.org>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homesteading Eco Farm that hosts an abused womens sanctuary
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:27:09 +0000

I've been just a lurker here but I'm so intrigued with some of your
knowledge that I'm wondering if you could help me to try to gather
information about homesteading from scratch to prepare a proposal letter for
perspective board members. I am starting an eco friendly homestead. It will
have gardens , orchards, a green house, and goats, sheep, rabbit, chickens
and bees. I will be growing and selling teas, apothacary herbs, smokable
herbs ,and spices.And holding workshops to show about homesteading, organic
farming, and alternative eco building techniques also to paying students. The
animals and gardens will also provide our needed food. We are striving to
make sure that this homestead is self sufficient even to the point of being
off grid at some point in time. I have also sectioned of part of my property
to host some cob-strawbale cottages. These cottages will be housing abused
women and their children as a safe sanctuary to help them with their first
steps of escaping to a new life as a survivor. The gardens and livestock will
also provide for them. We are currently working on bringing together needed
board members to enable us to get our 501. From that point, we will be
eligable for grants and funding to cover the costs of going off grid. Our
eligablilty is based on us being a woman owned, eco farm, that is in a rural
depressed area. Here is a rough business outline.

The Wanderer's End Farm was formed to increase public awareness of
green building and homestead farming activities; to support and conduct
green workshops, educational and informational activities to increase
public awareness of eco freindly activities; to provide a domestic
violence sanctuary and giving programs about that serve or advocate for
disadvantaged people; to research and provide access to giving
programs; to provide a safe house to women and their children, meetings
and workshops for green living.

Wanderer's End Farm is the
parent company with a number of subsidiary operations within its
control and is responsible for regulatory compliance.

The WE Sanctuary is the main subsidiary operation. The WE Sanctuary Women's
Refuge is an independent, voluntary organisation.There is currently a waiting
list that is graded by priority of those in need to acertain who will recieve
our services first. My current residence is in a small apartment that I open
to those with the most need.

WE Sanctuary provides the facility where women and children who are in
domestic violence situations are offered crisis accommodation in a safe
and secure environment; 24 hour access to staff availability;
counselling and education; and referral to other services as required,
including legal and financial agencies.

The specific aims of WE Sanctuary are:

* to provide accommodation and support to women and children in
crisis while setting an example as a 'green' business.

* to provide information on relevant services in the community to
meet individual needs, and provide education on living eco friendly.

* to assist those in crisis to gain sufficient monetary, emotional and
physical stability to re-enter society.

* to support the women by promoting their self worth, empowering
her to make her own decisions and encouraging her to continue her self
development.

* to encourage counselling with a view to
reuniting the family, providing the violence has ceased to be part of
the relationship.

* to show care and concern to all clients.

* to provide training for the volunteer workers to meet the
requirements of clients and the community.

Provided Services:
Life Skills, Parenting, Adult Education and other Groups
Crisis Counseling
Court Advocacy/Evidence Collection
Childcare
Victim Comp Info/Assistance
Emergency Financial Assistance
Follow Up
Information and Referral
Medical Advocacy
Personal Advocacy
Police Accompaniment
Safety Planning
Victim Impact Statement
Support Group
Translation/Interpreter Services
Emergency Transportation
Case-Related Travel
Address Confidentiality

The Second subsidiary operation is Green Workshops that is to be an
educational service to provide classes on green living.

The specific aims of Green Workshops are:

* to provide workshops and instruction to individuals pertaining to
eco friendly living, alternative building, alternative energy and green
homesteading.

The third subsidiary operation is
the WE Farm and gardens which will consist of a garden and
orchard. Petting zoo. Animal husbandry, and traquil gardens for producing
food for the residents and for sale. It will also include a rustic campground.

The specific aims of WE Farm and Gardens are:

* to provide accommodation in rustic campgrounds to workshop
attendees.

* to provide farm fresh products to the sanctuary community.

* to provide tranquil gardens and relaxing wandering trails.

* to provide a petting and learning zoo for "Love Thereapy" .

* to encourage homesteading and self sufficient living to the
local community.

To get my 501 I need board members. And to get board members I need to be
able to put together a winning proposal. It needs to tell them exactly what
my expectations and "dreams" are
for this organization. I need to tell them where I stand at this
very moment, what I are needing in order to "get the ball rolling,"
and you need to give them facts to show them the need for this service
here in this area. I've been given a list of people to
contact as prospective board members. I just need help with the homesteading
planning. I have all the plans for the sanctuary in place.

Thanks,

Ivy Bickl~Founder

Wanderer's End Farm~ W.E. Sanctuary~helping us to help others......

Check out our fundraiser products! ~Help us get our 501!