homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading Eco Farm that hosts an abused womens sanctuary

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading Eco Farm that hosts an abused womens sanctuary
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 16:52:22 -0500

With eight acres, multiple buildings and animals, how many women and
children do you anticipate housing/helping at any one given time?
What is the terrain like in that part of OK? Is all of the 8 acres
arable/tillable? You mentioned a creek and potentially a pond...does
the creek flood? You are in Oklahoma, what kind of disaster
preparations will there be-maybe underground shelters not only for
tornadoes but as a possible safe room from the abusers-maybe underground
tunnels from the cottages for quick access to the safe room?
Who will be teaching the workshops?
Who will provide security?

I believe you will need social workers or other mental health
professionals, but not just anyone,,,,it will take a special breed of
person with an attitude of self reliance. You know there are camps for
troubled juveniles out in Utah and in other 'wilderness' type places. I
realize what you are doing is different, but staff-wise, it might be a
good idea to model your staff after theirs..

Ivy Bickl wrote:
It will have gardens , orchards, a green house, and goats,
sheep, rabbit, chickens and bees. I will be growing and selling teas,
apothacary herbs, smokable herbs ,and spices.And holding workshops to
show about homesteading, organic farming, and alternative eco
building techniques also to paying students. The animals and gardens
will also provide our needed food. We are striving to make sure that
this homestead is self sufficient even to the point of being off grid
at some point in time. I have also sectioned of part of my property
to host some cob-strawbale cottages. These cottages will be housing
abused women and their children as a safe sanctuary to help them with
their first steps of escaping to a new life as a survivor. The
gardens and livestock will also provide for them.

This is very, very ambitious. I love the idea, but I believe it will be difficult to implement. I look forward to seeing your answers to my questions above.

We are currently
working on bringing together needed board members to enable us to get
our 501. From that point, we will be eligable for grants and funding
to cover the costs of going off grid. Our eligablilty is based on us
being a woman owned, eco farm, that is in a rural depressed area.

And who is we??

Here is a rough business outline.

Wanderer's End Farm is the parent company with a number of subsidiary
operations within its control and is responsible for regulatory
compliance.

Are there other operations currently, or is this just a future plan?
Do you have additional land somewhere?
I am worried about the land..Eight acres just doesn't seem like enough for what you want to do.

The WE Sanctuary is the main subsidiary operation. The WE Sanctuary
Women's Refuge is an independent, voluntary organisation.There is
currently a waiting list that is graded by priority of those in need
to acertain who will recieve our services first. My current residence
is in a small apartment that I open to those with the most need.

So you do not live on the property now?
Do you personally have homestead experience and if so what, when, and where?
Who has the waiting list? Local authorities or is this your personal list?

WE Sanctuary provides the facility where women and children who are
in domestic violence situations are offered crisis accommodation in a
safe and secure environment; 24 hour access to staff availability; counselling and education; and referral to other services as
required, including legal and financial agencies.

That is a lot to offer-requires retaining an attorney, too.
I have a brief law enforcement background so I am also very interested in how many security persons you intend to hire. I assume that these persons will not live on the property.

The third subsidiary operation is the WE Farm and gardens which will
consist of a garden and orchard. Petting zoo. Animal husbandry, and
traquil gardens for producing food for the residents and for sale. It
will also include a rustic campground.

* to provide tranquil gardens and relaxing wandering trails.

* to provide a petting and learning zoo for "Love Thereapy" .

I missed the petting zoo and campground on the first read. Girl, you seriously need more land.

Bev
--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge