homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging meat

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging meat
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:36:40 -0500

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:
> Do you have an area that is animal proof? If you, "hanging" can be done by
> not actually "hanging." <g> Wrap in cheese cloth or burlap and lay it on
> straw or shavings and them cover with straw to about 1' deep. The meat
> shouldn't freeze. You can also use an old fridge or freezer. You might
> need to cut the meat into quarters to get it in but leaving it in the
> fridge/freezer will accomplish the same purpose as hanging which is simply
> to get some age on it and have it go through the multiple degrees of rigor.

That's gave me an idea. I have an old trailer that I have hay stored
in. I can close off a room of it and make a space in the hay and lay
them in there once they are good and cold. It should keep them at
about the right temperature, but insulate enough they don't freeze
solid.

Is there any reason to leave the hide on while they age?

Rob - Va